Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Posture Clinic: Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II pronounced veer-ah-bah-DRAHS-anna )

Posture Clinic: Warrior II




One of the first postures that gave me an "ah-HA" moment was Warrior II. I was in a yoga class as a very fresh novice, eager to continue reaping the yogic benefits I had begun to notice in my body and mind.  The teacher cued Warrior II and, wanting to show that I was willing and able, I lunged hard into my front knee. I have always been a person who would rather over work herself than appear lazy, so in my mind I would look like I was working harder if I lunged deeper.

Turns out, I was very wrong. After class, the teacher saw me leaving and called me over. She asked me how I liked class, and asked me if I could stay for a moment. She demonstrated Warrior II for me with correct alignment. In Warrior II, your front knee should be stacked directly above your front ankle. She then showed me how I had been doing it so earnestly in class, by pushing my knee past my ankle and stacking it over my toes. With only five minutes of her time, this teacher had shared something with me that continues to impact the way I think about postures.

I learned that when you push your knee further than your ankles, you stress your knee. When the ligament tissues around your joint become too loose from misuse, your joint can move in ways that set you up for damage or long term injury. But, when you stack your joints one on top of the other, you are actually strengthening the muscles around your joints.

Most of the time, your joints in yoga should be stacked. Warrior II is no exception. In addition to creating healthier alignment, you are also creating joint efficiency in the body (why work hard where you could instead work smart?). Warrior II is a powerful asana. It is, after all, named for the strength and discipline of a warrior. In addition to strengthening your legs and opening your pelvis, you cultivate discipline and an open heart. Jump-start the benefits to be found by starting with a strong foundation and some muscle efficiency.

How to find your way there:

1. There are several ways to get there. You can begin in Mountain Pose and step one of your feet back with a long stance. Your front toes will stay pointing forward, and your back foot will land at a 45 degree angle or parallel to the edge of your mat. You can also get into this posture from Downward Facing Dog. To do this, inhale as you lift one of your legs high and then exhale as you sweep your foot between your hands for a low lunge. If you are unable to sweep your foot between your hands in one motion, fear not! Hook your elbow behind your ankle and scoop it between your hands, or scootch your foot toward your hands in small motions. However, allow the time and the patience for this set up. Ensure that your foot is framed by your hands. This extra moment for set up will help you to find your ever important joint alignment.
2. If arriving from Downward Dog, spiral open to standing. Your front toes point forward. Your back foot should be either parallel to the back of your mat or open at a 45 degree angle, whichever feels better or more accessible in your body. Your front heel should be more or less in line with the arch of your back foot. Come to stand tall with your rib cage stacked on top of your pelvis.
3. Bend into your front knee. Stack your knee directly on top of your ankle. Draw your knee over to the pinkie toe side of your foot to prevent collapsing in your knee and to encourage openness in your hips.The distance between your feet is relatively large. Your front shin should be perpendicular to your mat. Work to parallel your front thigh to your mat. Ground down through the pinkie toe side of your back foot, and engage the arch of your front foot. This is your foundation.
4. Once your foundation is set, extend your arms out to either side. Reach your arms in opposition like there were two people pulling your arms in two different directions. Draw your shoulder blades together behind your back like you were working to trap a pencil between your two blades. If you have the range of motion in your neck, turn your gaze forward past your front middle finger.
5. Begin your journey here with a static hold of a few breaths. Eventually, increase to 30-60 seconds. You will continue to feel your strength increase in this posture throughout all levels of your practice. It is really, really common that this posture feels difficult. If your muscles are shaking, that means they are changing. Persevere. Allow your breath to flow freely here.
6. Repeat the same setup and hold for the same amout of time on the other side, opposite foot in front.

Benefits:
1. This posture is a gentle hip opener at any point in your practice. It strengthens and stretches your inner thighs, groin, quadriceps and ankles.
2. It opens your chest while simultaneously stretching and strengthening your shoulders.
3. The set up of the posture and your time spent exploring alignment can help cultivate feelings of being centered, balanced and at ease in all levels- physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Customizations:
1. Feel free to shorten your stance as you work to create openness in your hips and strengthen your quadriceps. You can still find alignment within different expressions.
2. If your front quadricep is burning with a long hold, straighten your front leg for a breath before returning to your lunge. It is okay to take breaks.


No comments:

Post a Comment